With the end of the year rapidly approaching, it’s time to cut some clutter! To help, we thought we would share our top 10 tips for downsizing.
The master of order and decluttering, Peter Walsh, has lots of great strategies. It was hard to pick the top 10 tips for downsizing from his brilliant suggestions.
Whether you are moving house or office, or just want to clear up your space, it’s important to dispose of all of your excess items correctly. With these top 10 tips for downsizing, inspired by Peter Walsh’s declutter strategies, you’ll be able to clear your home or desk – and your mind – with ease.
- Scan your images and old documents. This will keep them safe in case a fire happens, and ensure their longevity.
- Use a digital photo frame. You can look at photos of you and your gorgeous family and still be downsizing!
- Take an inventory of your belongings and make a list of every item you have. This will help you evaluate each item and decide whether or not you want to keep them.
- Digitally record DVDs and other films and store them on an external hard drive.
- Shred and recycle old documents to clear space. Modern living is all about negative and open spaces, so it’s important to create that space by downsizing in your home.
- Sell or donate old books that you have read before.
- Go through your closet and cleanse it completely. Get rid of any item you haven’t worn in the last 12 months, or anything that doesn’t fit or doesn’t bring you joy. Donate any clothes in good condition to charity!
- Make the most of storage spaces, organise your drawers and consider storing magnetising small items and attaching magnetic strips to walls or cupboard doors to store items in a new way.
- Give yourself timed challenges where you can throw out as many belongings as possible in a short period of time. Set a timer for 10 minutes, and you’re off! You won’t think twice about what you’re discarding, and won’t have time to second-guess yourself or convince yourself that you need those items.
- Download your CDs onto iTunes or your chosen music storage program. Finally, you can throw away all of those old, broken CD cases that have definitely seen better days!
With our top 10 tips for downsizing, you’ll have everything sorted in no time! The next step is to ensure all of your documents or digital media waste is shredded and disposed of appropriately. At iShred, we can give you the tools to help you downsize and declutter your life, safely and securely.